MGTF Master Cylinder fill level

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGTF Master Cylinder fill level
From: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:07:29 -0400
I'm going over my 1954 TF in preparation for the trip to Gatlinburg. The
fluid level in the master cylinder appeared low so I checked the workshop
manual for fill level and it says that you should not fill it more than to
within 1/2" of the bottom of the filler neck. The manual suggests that
overfilling will result in brake fluid leakage which I seem to be having.
When I pulled the filler plug, I found instructions on top of the plug that
say you should fill to the bottom of the filler neck which is what I have
been doing. Could this be the cause of my fluid loss? Any suggestions on
which is correct?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding out where the fluid is going. All the
wheel cylinders seem dry. The master cylinder does have some drips in the
area but I'm not certain if it is silicone brake fluid, oil or a combination
of the two as the entire area has a collection of drips. Should I just
assume it is coming from the MC and rebuild that since all the wheel
cylinders seem dry? I haven't pulled any brake drums to see if they are wet
inside. Would that be the more logical first step?

Thanks,

Charley Robinson