Startup Problems

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Startup Problems
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:56:27 -0500
I have the day off today and finally I am trying to get this '53 TD
started. I have good oil pressure when turning the engine over without
the ignition on (after priming the oil pump). I have tried to set static
ignition timing using a Colortune. With #1 cylinder at TDC and the
ignition on, I slowing turn the distributor counterclockwise. I can hear
a spark when the rotor hits the high tension lead but cannot see a spark
from the Colortune. I have also tried a spark plug attached to the lead,
out of the cylinder and making ground contact. Again, I can hear a spark
when the rotor makes contact, but no spark from the plug. When doing
this same thing but turning over the engine with the ignition on, the
plug appears to spark properly as do the other plugs using the same
method. The engine, however, will not fire with all plugs in place and
the starter switch engaged and ignition on.

Any advice? I am wondering if my coil output is not adequate to supply a
strong enough spark for me to see the spark with the Colortune or when
advancing the timing using a plug for visualization. Could the
white/black and black wires to the coil be reversed? Could I just not be
getting adequate fuel to the ignition chambers? Float bowls are full and
the aftermarket fuel pump is pumping. The coil high tension wire has
been rigging by the PO. The coil does not have a screw in type
connection and the lead has just been shoved into the coil.

Any and all input appreciated. I am ready to hear this engine go!

Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC
'53 TD