Re: switch winding

To: scvc70@epix.net
Subject: Re: switch winding
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:47:23 -0500
  That thread you see is really the covering for an even finer wire in
light sockets that is to provide some resistance so that the bulbs last
longer.  You can 'jump' that fine wire and have a working light fixture.
True, the bulbs will last only a few years of daily driving without that
resistance wire, but then you can change bulbs a lot easier than you can
wind a mile of wire back in place.
   I am not familiar with fine wire except in the rheostat, but it's not
covered with thread in them.  The only rheostat on the TD's original dash
panel was for the dash lights. Cleaning that with switch cleaner (radio
shack carries it in spray cans) should help rheostat work better, but it
is not unknown for them to have broken wire at this age.  If you find
that problem, you can have the rheostat re-wound if there is a radio
repair shop that will still do that work, or buy a new one, or jump
across the rheostat to take it out of the circuit.
Bob
5547