ANDREX DAMPERS

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: ANDREX DAMPERS
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:43:49 -0500
I am seeking advice, suggestions, recommendations etc on how to set the
Andrex dampers found on my 51 MG TD Mark II. The manual says the front
should be set to 24 lbs load and the rear to 22 lbs. I calibrated my 0 - 32
lb spring type  fish scale and have attempted to measure the load using
this. But this is near impossible. The operating arm of the Andrex only
moves about 180 degrees (did not measure). The problem is that as you
increase the pressure on the metal/wood plates, the coefficient of friction
increases proportionally and is difficult to overcome. Once you overcome the
static state and get inertia in the movement of the operating arm, it has
already reached its limits before a reading can be made.

For those interested, the bushings used for the Girling dampers WILL fit the
Andrex linkage, contrary to advice given by the supplier. Because I just now
found engaging the Andrex dampers radically improves road performance
(previously I had load set to zero lbs), I decided to take them apart so I
could check the state of the 190 wt oil. Oh, YUK! What I found! Definitely a
case of - if it ain't broke, don't touch it. These Andrex have not been
opened for 53 years! I have now rebuilt the two rear ones. Both had a fair
amount of rust and the 190 wt oil had all solidified and was either hard,
like clay or just caked the entire system. Found one wood disk split, and
other broken in two pieces. Removed rust with little difficulty. Fortunately
there was not so much rust that the plates might have been weakened.
Internally there are 6 metal plates and 4 wood disks. If anyone owning
Andrex would like more information (photos), please contact me. Only wood
disks and bushings are available. Would be nice to have some precut gaskets.
Rest of the parts seem to survive pretty well.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mark II