Radial Tire Pressure

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>, Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Radial Tire Pressure
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:21:24 -0500
Thanks one and all for their input about tire pressure. My question was
based on incorrect information coming from Coker. Even after I gave them the
type of car (MG TD), the weight of the car and the fact that tubes would be
installed, I got the reply "These (BF Goodrich Silvertown) tires with tubes
have to be run at 35 psi, otherwise the tires may fail." I was naturally
alarmed about the "required" 35 psi for such a light car. At 35 psi, the TD
would drive like a buckboard!

So, I just called the technical department at BF Goodrich. Coker makes the
165R15 Silvertown whitewalls under license from BF Goodrich so wasn't sure
if BF Goodrich would have data available. They did and it turns out I don't
have a problem. I was told that the normal inflation range for these tires
are 24 psi to 33 psi (NOT 35 PSI!!!). I was quoted some numbers off a linear
chart for determining correct tire pressure. For those interested, here are
some points on the graph so it can be individually plotted:

Weight on axle (2 tires)       PSI recommended

    898 lbs                          24
    987                              27
   1073                              30
   1168                              33

If we know how the weight of the TD (with driver and passenger) is
distributed for each axle, then we can determine the actual correct pressure
for front and rear tires. I was advised to give an allowance of 150 to 200
pounds more per axle for safely (and perhaps a heavier passenger sometime).

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mark II