Re: TD Lubrication - nipples / Which Oil?

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Lubrication - nipples / Which Oil?
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:21:32 -0500
It works, but it's messy, very messy. Next time I add oil, I'm going to try
my little bottle cap pump device. The steering rack nipple has no spring
loaded valve in it. (It's basically just a hole!) So it shouldn't take much
pressure to inject oil in it.

BTW: What oil are you guys using in the steering rack? I've been using
smelly SAE 85W140 GL-5 gear oil. This is also what I've been putting in the
rear end. I'm currently using Redline MTL in the tranny.

Before someone suggest that I look in the shop manual, I just can't find
"Duckham's Hypoid 90" at the local Wal Mart.

Are there any issues with the sulfur in GL-5 with the TD? (Isn't that the
reason you're supposed to use motor oil instead of gear oil in the tranny of
the MGB?)

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470