Stewart-Warner oil temp gauge

To: <rccook16@voyager.net>, <donato@netusa1.net>, <mal.fay@toro.com>,
Subject: Stewart-Warner oil temp gauge
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:12:34 EST
I apologize in advance for blanketing my cyberworld with this query and ask
that if you have a suggestion you respond to me directly (rather than in some
sort of "reply all" mode that fills up mailnoxes with irrelevancy. ;-)

I have a vintage S-W oil temp gauge with a  capillary tube.  It has a male
"sliding nut" that seats into some sort of female threaded piece that needs to
have a beveled seat (like a compression fitting) in order to capture and seal
the beveled flange on the top of the capillary tube.  It is not a pipe thread.
I don't have it here at work with me, but it's size is roughly like an index
finger.  I have scrounged up a big compression fitting that fits, but it's
brass.  In order to weld such a doo-hickey into my 1275 vintage race motor's
oil pan, I need to find one made of steel.  I have had no success.

Question 1:  Anybody know whre I can buy a big steel compression fitting?
Question 2:  Any alternative ideas for plumbing this mechanical gauge into my
oil system?

Thanks in advance.
--John Deikis