Re: Master cyl. bore

To: "Charlie Baldwin" <ewsinc@BlazeNet.net>,
Subject: Re: Master cyl. bore
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:45:14 -0800
Charlie,

When we've done these conversions, we've used an MGA master cylinder in
place of the TD master cylinder. The mounting holes are spaced the same and
the pedals line up nicely if you interpose a spacer plate 3/8" thick between
the master cylinder and the frame rail. The beauty of this, of course, is
that you can convert the clutch to hydraulic operation by making an adapter
plate to bolt onto the oil pan (using the two holes where the chain plate
mounted on early TDs), then bolting an MG Midget slave cylinder to this
adapter plate and making up a short pushrod. This makes the clutch so much
smoother and unaffected by engine movement on its mounts.

But, to answer your original question, the TD M'Cyl is 1" dia and the MGA is
7/8", enough difference to give an incorrect pedal feel with the disc
brakes.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center