Re: wood condition & Rebuilding the Tub

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wood condition & Rebuilding the Tub
From: Curt Strohacker <strohacker@acadia.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:00:00 -0500
I recently purchased a 1950 TD and planned on a restoration. What I did not
plan on was a complete wood replacement in the Tub. After I did the
examination with a pick I found that 80% of the wood structure was soft and
needed replacement. Rather than try to save a piece I decided to go for the
whole kit.

I have purchased a complete wood set from the Whitworth shop and now need
to decide on the process.
There are conflicting approaches to this job.
One calls for complete removal of the sheet metal skin and then refitting
the sheet metal. This is what is outlined in Horst book and others.
The other approach is to do the job in sections which allows you to keep
the body shape and supposedly simplify the sheet metal work. This is what
is recommended by a local shop familiar with the T series cars.

Either way it seems like a daunting task. I have a beautiful restored
rolling chassis. The engine is rebuilt and ready for installation. Now I
will have to make a decision on my approach to the tub. Incidentally the
sheet metal is fine with only the usual perforations at the running board.
The rest is sound.
Any web information available on this process. The books are informative,
but don't answer all the questions. Any direction on this job would be
appreciated.

Curt Strohacker