In search of MGTD

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: In search of MGTD
From: "Bob Mitchell" <skunk149@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:07:16 -0500
Beware so-called experts:
I'm no mechanical genius (understatement!), and I was looking for a "driver"
to learn a bit about cars and have a hobby (and the MG is an excellent way
to learn mechanical basics, not to mention great fellowship and helpfulness
of MG owners, as a dividend) and I was steered to one of the very venerable
(and venerated) local experts in my neighborhood of Fairfield County, CT.
This guy repairs MG's exclusively as his vocation, and I read about his
helpfulness and collegiality over the years, in the T Register magazine. He
listened to my parameters, which seem similar to yours, and recommended a
car that belonged to a customer of his, which I bought and then, sadly,
discovered (caveat emptor!) the engine was completely, utterly, worn out,
which led me to another "respected" mechanic in CT who screwed me to the
tune of over ten thousand dollars for two(!) successive engine rebuilds...
Shit happens, but I blindly followed the lead of two very well-known local
professionals, and, tho' I love my little car, paid 'way to dearly for my
"fun". You'll have a great time with the MGTD, but you can get robbed, as
well. Self-evident advice, perhaps, but I'm writing so you don't follow in
my footsteps, on a needlessly-expensive path. Best of luck to you!