Tappets

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tappets
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 21:10:37 -0500
I had read some time ago that tappets for a TD are only good for about
10,000 mile. Is this true of new tappets from Moss? My TD is running fine,
but got a question. How do I determine when the tappets need replacing
without removing and inspecting them (don't want more work than necessary)?
If I do have to inspect them, how do I determine if they are bad?

My upgraded Crane camshaft has about 28,000 miles on it. New tappets were
installed when the engine was rebuilt by the local machine shop two years
ago. But in that time I have driven just over 20,000 miles. How can I
determine if they need replacing? As I say, the TD is running fine but I
would prefer changing  tappets than wearing down the camshaft.

Thanks.

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII