RE: The Sacred Cow-Concours

To: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Subject: RE: The Sacred Cow-Concours
From: "Garth Green" <headlam@kingsley.co.za>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:20:35 +0200
There is no such thing as a standard colour!
If you look at pre-war adverts for MGs you will often find, in small print
at the bottom of the ad, prices for any colour of your choice for trim and
bodywork. In 1979, shortly before the announcement of the closure of the
Abingdon factory, I visited the factory and was given a guided tour of the
whole place. When I asked about the significance of an "S" sticker on the
windscreens of some cars on the production line, I was told that it meant
that that car was to have special trim or body colour. To clarify this
on-going question of "original" or "standard" colours, I asked the question
again and the answer was confirmed. Again, in 1996, Don Hayter, who had been
General Manager of the factory during MGB production, was our guest of
honour at our Indaba (our two-yearly national gathering) in Port Elizabeth,
South Africa. I asked the question of him and he, too, confirmed that it had
always been possible to get your car in any colour you wanted, direct from
the factory.
So, there is no such thing as a "wrong shade". If you are happy with it, it
is correct!

Regards to all T-type owners
Garth Green, Cape Town, South Africa

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]