Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)

To: bkrueger@ici.net, bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)
From: Emgeeguy@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:06:20 EST
I have thought for several years that there should be two classes of voting.
The popular vote has always been the norm at GoF West, and it can sometimes
lead to discouraging results. Cars from a large club with a large
representation will receive a lots of votes, and there will always be more
"winners" with cars from their clubs. The exception is when there is an
exceptional car in the line-up. People tend to vote for their own club cars
regardless of the originality or quality, and they don't really care whether
the car is trailered or driven.

I would like to see another round of judging, similar to a concourse event,
where a team of 4-5 expert judges look at the cars for originality, quality,
presentation, etc., and perhaps considering whether the car was
professionally restored or done by the owner, and whether it was driven (or
at least is driven rather than sitting around waiting for shows) or trailered.

I don't really know whether trailering should be considered for some sort of
disqualification. Before I retired, my wife and I drove our TD to several
GoF's (Sun Valley, Bend, Jackson Hole, Tahoe, etc). Now that I'm retired,
however, I need to consider my son who lives with us, and it is better in my
case to do the affair as a family. That means that we have to either take 2
vehicles, with my wife driving one, and me driving the TC or TD, or
trailering the T-type. I would much rather drive with my wife, but it's hard
to do. So should I be penalized for trailering? I drive my cars all the time,
and would not like folks to discount my car just because I trailered it to a
function of 1-2 weeks in duration far away.

Oh well, just some thoughts.

Cheers--enjoy the cars anyhow! Larry long.