Re: Good thing it's a MkII but questions

To: simbafish@home.com
Subject: Re: Good thing it's a MkII but questions
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:45:27 -0500
Hi Stu,
  You're not the first to face this.
  The Andrex is a friction damper, like the old Hartford damper found on
US iron. To slack it, loosen the locknut on the one bolt that is not
around the circumference of the face plate of the Andrex. Then loosen the
bolt that passes through the locknut and into the face plate of the
damper.  The bolt squeezes the steel and beech disks inside the damper,
and that's the friction that makes these high-tech devices work.
  If you can't move the lever arm, it's waaay too tight. Better ease the
adjustment on all the dampers.  Meanwhile, I'll look up some figures I
have on the adjustment of the things and send the figures to you.
  I keep mine backed off completely.  On a smooth road, they're great. On
a bumpy road, I find that the tires are on the pavement more w/o the
benefit of the Andrex.   E.Bugatti built a car once to test why we use
springs. Turns out that not only to they support the car, but the springs
push the wheels down after a bump faster than gravity would pull the
wheels down.  I think the Andrex can interfere with this action.
  The Girling is the hydraulic unit.  Removing its top merely allows for
its filling with fluid. The damper's action is effected by the orifice
(s) inside the unit itself. The damper is not adjustable by mere mortals.

  Back to the Andrex--at the end of the "pin" on which the rubber bushing
was mounted there should be a plate or a washer welded onto the pin.
That was probably installed after the rubber bush was installed.  How one
replaces the rubber is a good question. Perhaps a PO ground off the
washer and slipped on the plate.  To replace bushings on mine, I split
the bushings in a spiral and wound them onto the pin.  The washer passes
through (barely) the opening in the link.

Bob