Re: Petrol Tank Sender Light

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Subject: Re: Petrol Tank Sender Light
From: Geoff Love <engconn@f-tech.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:26:04 -0500
--------------E78038E53D0460968EE09316

Stuart Keen wrote:

> A year and nine months ago when I purchased my beloved 51 TD, I noticed
> fuel leaking around both inner and outer gaskets of the sender unit. I
> was not surprised since the TD had been virtually garaged for the past
> twenty years and the gaskets probably dried out and/or lost resiliency.
> So I replaced the gaskets and all seemed well.
>
> When I returned from the Great Circle Tour in August, I noticed the
> sender unit was again leaking, rather badly. The car had been driven
> approx 15,000 miles since installing new gaskets. Upon inspection, I
> found the outer chamber, which contains the wiper contact from the float
> for sending voltage to the petrol light, flooded with fuel. It had
> probably been that way for a long time.
>
> Is this normal? I am of course concerned that there is always 12 V DC on
> the stationary pole and there could be a small spark as the wiper makes
> contact when fuel is low - approx 200 ma current flows. Of course, if
> the chamber is always flooded, there probably could not be a spark. But
> I am still concerned. Is it normal for the outer chamber to be flooded?
> I suspect fuel is coming through the pivot point between the float and
> the wiper.
>
> In a way, I am now answering my own question. If the chamber was not
> flooded but filled with fuel vapor, this would be a more volatile
> situation. The fact that the chamber has a gasket on it seems to
> indicate it is expected to be flooded. Am I thinking properly?
>
> I have successfully stopped the leaks by tightening down securely on the
> ten screws.
>
> Any ideas or replies about the flooded chamber will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Stu Keen
> 51 MG TD MkII

You're right in your thinking.  FYI as far as I know, there has not been a
single case of any T-Series car blowing up as a result of this Molotov Cocktail
type of arrangement.  However, if you have been able to quickly fix the leak
merely by tightening the screws then you are very fortunate.  This particular
piece of equipment causes nearly as much trouble as both the Prince of Darkness
and Skinner Union's efforts do.

Geoff Love.

--------------E78038E53D0460968EE09316
 name="engconn.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Love;Geoffrey E.
tel;fax:as above
tel;home:570 739 3340
tel;work:570 739 3340
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:The English Connection
adr:;;P. O. Box 133;Friedensburg;Pa.;17933;
version:2.1
email;internet:engconn@f-tech.net
title:Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
note:Restorer of British Motor Cars