Re: Compression Ratio Calculation

To: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Compression Ratio Calculation
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:22:21 -0400
Dick,

You're forgetting one critical variable - valve duration.  On the stock MGB,
the intake valve doesn't close until 56 degrees after bottom dead center, while
on the compression stroke.  Therefore, while the piston is rising on the
compression stroke, you still have an open valve!  That's why you cannot rely
upon the direct mathematical solution you have used to derive the geometrical
compression ratio.

A "wilder" cam will have greater duration (usually) and can actually show a
lesser reading on a compression test than when performed with a stock cam (all
other things being equal.)

Bill