T Types and value

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: T Types and value
From: streepey <streepey@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:33:50 -0700
I'm enjoying the to and fro / pro's and cons of this latest discussion of $
25,000 dollar TC's vs $ 40,000 dollar ones.  Having NEVER owned a car of
either type, it's really very interesting.

I've owned four TD's starting with one I bought in 1960 from a dealership I
worked for.  I needed a second car and I talked the owner into selling me a
TD that had come in on trade.  I paid $ 325.00 for it and drove it the way
I bought it until the mid sixties whem I lost it in a divorce.

I currently own a 1953 TD that I bought in 1972 for $ 500.00.  You could
have filled up a barn with $ 500.00 driveable TD's at that time.

I've never really wanted to own a "show car" (whatever that is), because
I've always wanted to be able to drive it.  And drive it we have.  We live
in central Californis and the car has been to Canada and back, back and
forth to So Ca, up and down the Pacific coast, over the Sierra Nevada may
times.

As to value - the car has a decent paint job, good chrome. The color is not
an MG color and it has matching fabric upholstery.  It has a tatty hood,
and no side curtains.  It is a clean, straight very reliable driver.

If I wanted to sell it ??  It's worth somewhere between $ 10,000 and $
13,000.  The problem would be that it's too good a car to really restore
and it's worth too much to be a restoration project.

I don't really care about the value anyway.  I just own it to enjoy it.
This year it made an 800 mile trip to the Montery, CA area and a 1000 mile
trip to the Oregon Club Rendevous in Bend, OR, in addition other local
trips.

I'll just keep MGing in my driver until I get so old I can't maintain it
and drive it.  And by the way, all of the discussion on whitworth tools is
amusing when you have a WHOLE TOOLBOX of such tools.  I bought some of them
and one day a neighbor came over and asked me if the MG used whitworth.  I
said yes and he gave me a whole bag of tools.  Said he'd been a British
mortorcycle mech, and hoped he'd never again work on a Norton Motorcycle.

Keep driving

LEE