RE: Removing Front Wheel Hub

Subject: RE: Removing Front Wheel Hub
From: bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:00:40 -0800
I use a standard two leg puller. The cross piece at the top is
about 10 inches between the pins. The legs are adjustable with
about four different pin settings, and a small and large hook.
With the pins set at the greatest length on the cross piece and
the legs, the longer hooks will just reach.
Quite often the drum will come off leaving the inside wheel
bearing on the stub axle with the seal behind it. Getting the
bearing off can be a problem because many pullers won't reach
between the bearing and the back plate. Also, pulling here will
quite often ruin the seal. If that happens, I usually remove the
four bolts holding the backing plate on and pull of the backing
plate. Unless the bearing is on unusually tight, this will pull
the bearing without damaging the seal. You do not need to
disconnect the brake line to do this.
You should have on hand a new inside bearing seal, and perhaps a
brake cylinder kit. The wheel drag can be because either brake
fluid or wheel bearing grease has gotten onto the linings. If
there's not to much contamination on the linings, they can be
cleaned. and reused. Otherwise, you may need a new set of
linings, and they are NOT probably available from a local parts
house. If they are pretty bad, and you want to get every thing
back together right away, email me and I can give you way of
swapping shoes temporally to expedite the work.
Blake