rear seal

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear seal
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 07:24:30 -0500
Has anyone had success with the Moss crank rear seal conversion kit?

A local machine shop just rebuilt my MGTD XPAG engine (due to a broken
crankshaft). During the rebuild, they installed a Moss crank Rear Seal
Conversion Kit, #433-415.
I thought this would be a good improvement.

I just finished talking with a tech guru at a MG car club. When I told
him I
had installed the crank rear seal conversion kit, his breath went
away. He said, OH NO!". He is telling me that everyone in their club
that has installed this kit has had a failure within a few hundred
miles. He said the seal is not a good fit, about 1/32 overlap, will wear
quickly and then spew engine oil all over the dry clutch.

Has anyone out there had any success with the rear crank seal conversion
kit? I'm looking for a vote of confidence. I looked in archives, but
didn't find much. Some said if the kit was installed correctly, if the
directions were carefully followed, then the seal does work. Any
opinions or experiences will be appreciated.

Stu Keen
Venice, Fl.

simbafish@home.com