Re: TD RPM's

To: lani_spahr@agilent.com
Subject: Re: TD RPM's
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:19:35 -0500
Lani,
  I think you can run a TD engine at 3500 until the end of time. That
seems to be a reasonable speed for them.
  One rule of thumb for max sustained engine speed is 2500 feet of piston
travel per minute. 2500 fpm = 30,000 inches/ min  divided by 7 inches
(3.5 inch stroke x2 per revolution) = 4285 rpm.  Thus 3500 rpm is running
about 82% of max cruise speed and  is not flogging the engine.
  Others suggest that running an engine at 75% of max rated speed is OK,
and that would be 5500 rpm x .75 = 4125 rpm.
Bob