TD Transmission Problems

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Transmission Problems
From: "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:03:19 PDT

All,

So I thought I was done restoring my '52 TD, but much to my
chagrin when I took it out for its first drive last Saturday
I ran into a problem.

Last February I had purchased a re-built transmission from a
gentleman from San Francisco, and I installed it in April, but
wasn't able to try it out 'till last Saturday.  When I did, I
heard a loud thumping coming from the bell housing in whatever
gear I was in.  So, a friend and I pulled the transmission
over the last few days, and cast a more critical eye on it then
when we originally installed it.  In any event, I now have several
questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1)  The pressure plate is rubbing up against the bell housing where
the bell housing is cast to accept the pin that holds the release
bearing fork, (on both sides). This didn't happen with the
old transmission, and the pressure plate and flywheel is not loose.  Any
ideas what can be happening here?  Do they make different
height pressure plates or bell housings for TD's?

2)  The spline has approximately 1/8" side to side play in it.
Is this normal?

3)  In rotating the spline to turn the flange that connects to the
driveshaft; every two turns it sticks a bit.  It does this in
every gear, and while you can still turn the spline it's obvious
that it's grabbing somewhere inside the transmission.  I don't think
this is normal, so does anyone have any ideas what can be causing
it?

4)  Lastly, but related, I had to pull the pressure plate off to make
sure the flywheel bolts were tight, and I can't find torque specs
for either the flywheel or pressure plate bolts.  Any ideas
here?

That's it.  I'll keep everybody updated with what I find.

Best,

Scott Allen