Re: TD looses power at speed

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TD looses power at speed
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:41:19 -0400
I had a similar problem with a TD belonging to my nephew. Car ran fine for
years, then he had a gas tank leak so had the tank repaired and cleaned. A
"new" fuel pump was fitted on the firewall by a DFCE (dumb foreign car
expert) garage.  The garage also fitted an inline fuel filter on the
suction side of the pump.
Car would run fine at low speeds, but as soon as you tried to push it a bit
it missed.
Turns out the garage fitted an MGB universal pusher fuel pump on the
firewall, then compounded the problem by fitting the fuel filter on the
suction line. Pump just could not cope.  To add insult to injury, the DFCE
threw out the original SU pump complete with discharge elbow.
First I tried my spare SU low pressure fuel pump, leaving the filter in
place. TD ran better, but not good. Removed the filter and all is well.
So, I would stick to the original SU fuel pump and screens in tank, pump
base and carbs and leave the fuel filters to modern cars.
Bob