Re: Rear Axle Oil Seal Replacement on TD

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Oil Seal Replacement on TD
From: CIAG6@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:38:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/8/99 10:20:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time, BobMGT@aol.com
writes:

<< Any tips on rear oil seal replacement? I've read the shop manual, but it
 never seems to tell you everything you need to know. My brakes were pulling
 to the right, and sure enough I found the left drum filthy with smelly gear
 oil. Seems to me someone posted something about the proper torque for the
hub
 nut. >>

Even new seals aren't very good in my opinion.  After replacing the seals
(and brakes) be careful not to overfill the differential with oil.  I run the
oil level about one finger joint below the top for this very reason.  I also
avoid parking with one side of the car significantly lower than the other in
order to minimize the oil flowing up against the seals.

Ray G
Colorado