Re: Watkins Glen , Part 3 and

To: British-Cars-Pre-War@Autox.Team.Net, mg-t@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen , Part 3 and
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:01:23 EDT
next week, I'll post the whole thing including pictures to  Walter who has
offered to put it up on the T-ABC web site (http://www.publi-consult.com/MG)
and those who want can read or down load it.  Thanks Walter.

part 3
        At 6 PM Friday, they staged the LeMans start of the original race which
started in front of the City hall.  Most of the Allards, TC's and Alfas of the
first race were there and some of the drivers too (some of whom could not
manage the LeMans start!!).  The streets were lined with crowds as the cars
roared off and went around a couple of times.  In a nearby parking lot a
Concours took place where our friend Bill Hentzen took best of show with his
TB Tickford.
        One of the MG Heroes of Watkins Glen is Denver Cornett who rolled, then
raced
his TC there in 1948.  Mr. Cornett and the TC were there for the race
recreaton.  He had rolled his TC during practice at the curve after the Old
Stone Bridge which is at the bottom of a long down hill straight away.  Some
spectators had helped him right it and later that day, he was able to
participate in the race.
        Part of the Vintage event was the all MG Collier Cup race.   I’m told
72 MG’s
were on the grid, a record in the USA.
        Saturday was the NEMGTR car show and Denver friend Mike Francks gave me
ride in his TC up to the race track where the event was held.  I didn’t count
all the T types there but there must have been 40 TC’s, 60 TD’s and assorted
other T types.  For MMM’s we had Tom Metcalf, Phil Liacona and Roger Garnetts
P types, Dave Harrisons  L2 and one other, Gerry Gougens supercharged J4 which
I believe raced in the 1948 race. (ex Collier car?), 3 M types including Jack
Kahlers 12/12 (see latest issue of Octagon CC Bulletin), a supercharged J2 or
was that a real J3 (Curt Beck), the C type Montlhery Midges of Frank Diaz and
Mac Reynolds, Ken Miles R1 and R3 the flying shingle (now owned by Pat Hart)
and a couple of Lester MGs.  There was also Joe Joselins NA fourseater and
Malcolm Appletons TA Cream Cracker replica with a VA engine and Bill
Bollendonks award winning early TA Cream Cracker replica.    Bob O’Mera had
his just finished (11 years it took him) VA Tickford, Magnificent! and oh yes,
Bill Hentzens TB Tickford.  Quite a line up.  I’m sure I’ve forgotten someone
and their car.
        That evening the NEMGTR held its award banquet, the high light of which
was
the awarding of the MGCC’s MMM Register Trophy for Spirit to Jack Kahler.
This was quite a trip for Jack.  See in Kansas City a chap walked up to him
and sez “I’ve got an M type and I’ve got an original windscreen for a double
12”.  Jack  was knocked out because he was missing the windscreen on his
12/12.  The guy even drove back home somewhere in the wilds of Missouri to
retrieve it for Jack to copy.  It still had the original wire screen mesh in
it.  What a find!! Then in WG one of the attendees offered Jack an original M
type steering wheel providing the last missing part.  Who says Good Guys don’t
finish first?
        Next morning, some folks went back up to the track to see the wind up
of the
Vintage races but most loaded up and headed for home.  I dropped my son Andrew
back at the Cleveland airport to catch his plane home and I headed for
Pittsburgh Pa for a back to work session.  What a weekend, Whew!!  Memories
are made of this!   The NEMGTR put on a terrific event and us Left Coasters
were knocked out by their hospitality.  Thank you Hank Rippert and all the
NEMGTR crowd encluding my good friends Barbara and Mike Leckstein.
        Needless to say, Bill Tantau and Terry Sanders had one heck of an
Excellent
Adventure!  Thanks to Bill Bollendonk and Jack Kahler for making the trip so
pleasurable.