GoF West (return journey)

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: GoF West (return journey)
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:40:17 EDT
To All Concerned, and to all who are concerned,

It's been about three weeks since the GoF Central event in Auburn, Indiana
and I'm only just coming terms with the outcome. Not to make an article out of
it, I don't mind having my achievements in print but the PA didn't make it
home  under its own power.

The journey to Auburn was 800 miles Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.
I teamed up with Dan Shockey in Peoria, Illinois at the 500 mile mark which
left  us the 312 miles the following day. I know Dan has written the trip up
for
the  NAMMM Newsletter so I won't step on his pages.

On the way home it was evident all was not well. I dropped the sump back at
Dan's and discovered that the rear main bearing had failed. The oil pressure
had  dropped about eight psi to 62.

This isn't the first time it has happened. I was going to give editor  Larry
Long another call, as last time but I was told that he has Caller I.D.  these
days. So it was to U-Haul (sic) to sign a mortgage for the rental of  a truck.
Thankfully, convenient loading ramps at either end. 500 miles in  comfort and
air-conditioning. At least I still stuck to the side roads and  enjoyed the
ride.

The engine is out, stripped and various parts at the machinists. The crank
was damaged and just needed a polish. What I have decided (discovered) was the
scantling wasn't tight enough in the housing to create the heat sink. The
first  two days of the trip the ambient temps were close to 100F. Though the
water pump  did its job and kept the engine water down around 80C.

So, I'm having the front and rear housings machined concentric and having
both scantlings made oversize in bronze. Actually, I doubled up and took the
K-Types also.

I took the engine out and stripped it and also the gearbox out over a  period
of three days in temps close to 100F.

I'm told to "cheer-up the engine is on the road to recovery". That might be
the case, when is it my turn???

I know there were a number of problems with cars at the event. I hope they
faired better than mine.

Most of you have my address, just keep sending the checks/cheques and keep
bloody smilin'.

Special thanks to the Shockeys for their hospitality and help.

Brian Kelly.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)