RE: Oiling.......

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oiling.......
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:33:59 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        My approach may be a bit controversial but has been used on both
my J2 and L2 with apparent success.

        While both cars have the central lube system intact, I actually
use a light molly grease applied via standard grease fittings
temporarily installed at each point. I feel that light grease is a more
appropriate lubricant for all applications with the possible exception
of the brake cables.  The grease stays put and doesn't drain out onto
the garage floor.  I do have some reservations about using grease on
brake cables but at least for normal summertime driving temperatures,
the grease does not seem to cause any drag on the brake cables...they
easily and fully retract the shoes when pressure on the brake pedal is
eliminated.  The extra time to install temporary grease fittings is not
all that significant and seems to last far longer than oil.  (I drove
the L2 for 1,000 miles or so while in prime and when I tore the car
apart for the final build, everything seemed to be well lubricated.) In
cold weather climates, I might be inclined to use 140 gear oil on the
brake cables but light grease everywhere else)  Any thoughts from the
serious racers on the subject?

Cheers,

Chris