Re: re strange things F3

To: "mark saperstein" <mmmouth@cox.net>
Subject: Re: re strange things F3
From: Robert Zwart <zwart1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:53:37 -0800
Cc: "mg-mmm list" <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
So we say: "Merry Christmas to all and to all Good Night" Congrats on solving the longest running problem for MGs in 2004.
BOB

On Dec 22, 2004, at 5:49 PM, mark saperstein wrote:

Subject: re strange things F3 magna

dear all,

with heartfelt thanks to all those members who took the time to offer very
wise help, here's the outcome of the "strange things" episode..

first, after allowing the battery to receive a good charging from a float
charger for about 2 days, the ignition light working in reverse with the
ignition switch fixed itself.

after testing all circuits for shorts and finding none, cleaning and
gapping the contact points on the cutout to no avail, pulling the fascia and
assuring all connections are good and wires routed correctly, verifying the
continuity and function of switches, etc.,etc. It was time to look into the
dynamo. as the manual instructs, I moved the third brush to increase
output.. but got no change!! ??? So thought it best to check the other
brushes as well. found them to be fairly "stuck" in their holders so took them
out, cleaned them up with some electrical contact spray cleaner ( by CMC ) and
replaced them. and assured that their springs were tensioned and free to push
the brushes home to the commutator. ( they were pretty stiff as I found them
). then I returned the third brush to its' original location.

Now, everything works ! dynamo produces 12 to 15 volts with good revs and
ammeter shows +9 . and the cut-out opens and closes on time.

Regarding the 20 amp drain upon connecting the battery with the ignition
switch "off" :
My best guess is that the battery , although in a very low state of charge,
was connecting to the dynamo by reverse current through the ground circuit (
"E" terminal in the fuse box and then to the dynamo "F" terminal ).. then back
through the ignition lamp....because the regulator points being open would not
matter in that case.

Disclaimer: " but I ain't no 'lectrician "

( I probably will install the diode to replace the cutout someday.. just for
safety sake. )

the manuals all say that the state of battery charge has no bearing on the
cutout behaviour .......but ?????

I hope there is some value to others in this, very best wishes for the
holidays and the new year,
Mickey in phoenix

/// http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool
/// Archives at http://www.team.net/archive/mg-mmm