P type cylinder head bolt- torque settings

To: mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: P type cylinder head bolt- torque settings
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:09:13 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net
Hi guys,

While still sorting running light info forwarded by many...

What is the correct P type cylinder head bolt torque settings?

Mr. Blower (The MG workshop Manual) does not specify, but does recommend a
second tightening after a brief warm-up and a third tightening after 100  miles.

Mr. Smith (Tuning and maintenance of MG Cars) writes about using "the  normal
ring spanner with a 6" length of lever. Use plenty of force and the  tension
will be right."

He goes on to say, no need to "go round the nuts again in the time honoured
manner," and adds... "that usually results in overtightening the few  nuts
which are easier to get to, and probably does more harm than  good."

What say you engine experts? I'd sure like to set a number on a torque
wrench rather than relying on my inexperienced 6" spanner handle. Did you "go
round the nuts again"?

Since the engine has just been so professionally rebuilt by Mr. Rich, if I
follow Mr. Smith's advice... I'll not go near them with any wrench!

Thanks,

Don B.