Re: PA Ring Gear

To: "Viv James TraX Interconnect (Pty.) Ltd" <viv@trax.co.za>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PA Ring Gear
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:30:28 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Viv,

The original starter ring on all MMM cars was part and parcel of the
flywheel, if it needs to be replaced, it has to be machined off. I would
ask, is it really that badly worn?

Strange as it may seem, unless they are perfectly balanced,all MMM four
cylinder engines stop in the same place every time you switch them off. This
means the starter engages the same few teeth every time you engage it.
Clean up the worn teeth and turn the flywheel on the crank when you
reassemble it and you'll have another 70 years before you have to do it
again.

I would certainly recomend lightening the fly wheel and have attached a
drawing.

If you're going to use a new crank and rods, you're going to need an expert
machinist. The new rods will not clear the bottom of the bores without some
very careful metal removal (its easy to break thro' into the water jacket)
as the big ends on the new rods are physically larger than the old. Just a
friendly warning, I'v seen what can happen but have not done it myself!

Cheers, "Bob"
Colorado Springs.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of P
& N. Flywheel dwg.jpg"; x-mac-creator="6F676C65"; x-mac-type="4A504547]