Castrol R Oil Quandry

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Castrol R Oil Quandry
From: Cnowlan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:50:10 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

   My L2 engine is flying home from Bob Jones's shop this week but I seem to
have a perdicament re oils and need some collective wisdom.  The engine which
has been built with all the bells & whistles...1408cc, Marshall IZ87
supercharger etc has been assembled using R40 as an assembly lube as the Jones
duo assummed I would be running Castrol R40.  Most of us Yanks know that Castor
based oil is not readilly availiable in the US, is very expensive and totally
noncompatible with petroleum based oils.  Moss was stocking it but discontinued
it out of fear that some Spidwad owner would load up his $300 heap with
$10.00/qt oil and then sue Moss for a new engine!
Abingdon Spares stocks it but it can't be shipped by air.
   The Brits seems to really swear by this stuff but the Yanks seem to think
it's a real waste of time, effort and $$. Is Castrol R really all that great??
   I love the smell but my garage is attatched to the house and the door to the
garage is usually open.  My wife is really good about putting up with normal
garage odors but this could get to be a bit much. Does anyone have any
experience with the "odor factor" of a Castrol filled cold engine?
   If I start out using petroleum based oils, do I really need to flush out the
little bit of Castor based oil first?  (the engine has not yet been run)  Could
I get buy with doing a second oil & filter change after a few minutes running?
   I do plan to do some vintage racing but also lots of touring and weekend
driving. The engine is should certainly be super strong but the chassis,
brakes(and driver) are the weak link to maximum performance. I've heard that
the old Castor oils did'nt have any additives to keep things clean but that the
new formulations are better. Any comments?
   Considering the considerable expense of this engine rebuild,I'm not about to
start skimping on the cost of oil but really want to do the most sensible
thing.  I would be most grateful for any advice based on real knowledge and
experience as there is already enough misinformation based on second hand
knowledge to fill a book! Any good advice on a choice of Petroleum based oil?
   P.S.  Looks like we will actually see 21 MMM cars at the Queen Mary July
21-25.  I'm determined to have the L2 up & running!

Cheers,
Chris Nowlan