Road spring bushes? for PA

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Road spring bushes? for PA
From: DSBonar@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:11:58 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
According to Blower, (Chaper 1, page 13 in my edition), there should be
bushes for both the front and rear road spring retaining pins. Brass for the
fronts, Silentbloc for the rears.

S&V shows nothing or has none to offer, and I find no mention in Official MG
- PA Service Parts Book. Old Walker drawings also show nothing.

In fitting up my springs (both sets are repros but not from the same firm)
there is scant space for bushes of any kind. I have secured brass bushes
fitting the two sizes of securing pins from local sources, but they will not
fit the spring "Eyes" on the outside bush dia.

I did some test drilling on old springs in an attempt to slightly inlarge
size of "eye" to support the bush. Quickly found my little benchtop drill
press will not handle the spring steel. Before I take to machinist or spring
shop... could Blower be incorrect on this topic?

Would other P owners tell me how they handled this "To bush or not to bush.."
question?

Thanks,

Don B.