P petrol tank

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: P petrol tank
From: DSBonar@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:54:42 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Picked up the petrol tank from the stripper and the top half of the back
looks like it was hit with a 12 gauge shotgun. I lost count at 55 holes. I
believe the paint (over massive amounts of Bondo) was all there was holding
it together.

I'd like to keep it as an original part.

1. Has anyone ever chopped off the back before?
2. Anyone know of a source of repair?
3. I note four vertical indents in the back. I'm assuming they are there for
stiffing purposes only. Do they serve any other purpose? Can I just replace
with a flat piece of steel?
4. Is the P tank interchangeable with any other MG?
5. Anyone got a spare (just in case)?

Thanks,

Don B.