Re: J2 Engine Mystery

To: Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, MMM List <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J2 Engine Mystery
From: Pat Mullen <pmullen@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:37:41 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lew,

I think that whereas the opening of the normally operating inlet valve
allows a full swept volume of air to enter the cylinder, then to be
compressed, the cylinder without any valve opening will usually give a
(lesser) pressure because it will have started out prior to the test
with an amount of air in each cylinder dependent upon the position of
the cylinder's piston which cd be anywhere.
Only if the cylinder is at BDC wd the pressure be at a max.

It seems possible that all four cylinders started out with their
cylinders midway between TDC and BDC.

.....Pat