AW: taper-bearings

To: <cgrunau@pathcom.com>, "Bob Rich" <jearich@mindspring.com>, <DSBonar@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: AW: taper-bearings
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:37:18 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear Bob,
very informative your comments about taper or ball bearings.
You are right, that the risk to put to much strain on the stub axle, when
you use a spacer and shims, is much lower, than when you fit preloaded
taper-roller bearings without spacer.
But I still have the "feeling", that because with taper bearings the load on
the bearings are pushing the inner ring of the outer bearing hard against
the nut, and so the thread on the stub axle gets more load than with ball
bearings.        A wedge always wants to slip sideways when loaded.

I know we hardly ever hear that the stub axles crack at the thread, and I
agree, that the stress to the area where they usually crack is the same with
ball or taper bearings.

It's interesting to see, that you are producing repair stub axle-inserts.
Maybe to repair a cracked axle using your inserts, is safer than to fit for
replacement a old tested axle.
Must put this info to my files !!

Gerhard

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----