RE: Bearings, bushings, and things that go bump in the night

To: <DSBonar@aol.com>, "MMM List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bearings, bushings, and things that go bump in the night
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:06:25 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
1. Why wouldn't you use sealed bearings where ever possible?

You would. Just make sure that the bearing is rated for the application.
Also make sure the source of lubrication can get to the bearing, if
necessary.

2. How do you get (there has to be a trick) rear axle out of the hub
without
going to machine shop or applying a very large hammer? Heat? Cold? Tried

swearing.

This takes a hydraulic press. I have a 12 ton one I bought for about
$100. It works fine for such things.

3. King pin stub axle bushings. They cannot exactly duplicate either the

oil/grease groove in the center, or the exposed lip for the dust cap,
but did
offer an "oil impregnated" bushing in it's place. OK to use or go for
the
original?

Go for the originals.

4. Can I press all the bearings/spacers out of the hub from one side or
is
there a shoulder or lip that requires I pry out the old corroded seal
from
each end separately?

The latter. Using a brass drift, tap the inner bearing out towards the
seal end of the hub, do the same for the outer bearing pushing it out
toward the threaded end of the hub.

5. Any tricks of the trade to know before reassembly?

Make sure the hub is fully seated on the axle before trying to tighten
it up. Be sure the front hub spacer (the one behind, not inside, the
hub) is in place in the hub seal before you try to put the hub on the
axle.

Regards,
Lew Palmer