Thoughts about fakes

To: "MMM mail-contact" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thoughts about fakes
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:24:13 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello MMM-friends,

Watching the MMM-scenery in the last years, I have slowly given up the hope,
that ever a discussion like the one in the last two days in our mail-forum
could take place.  Thanks !!

When you go to a Vintage Car race, or a MG Car Club race here in Europe,
there often are more fakes in the entry-list than tuned original MG4s. The
organisers of the race-meetings care more about the financial result, than
about their responsibility not to lead astray the spectator on the
grandstand by filling the grid with fakes, uncontrolled when the entry-form
is received.

Dont say "its not a fake, its built on a original K1-chassis". It then is
even more a fake, when a painter creates a new "Rembrandt" using a
some-hundred year old canvas !

Can we blame the builder or dealer who has recognized the chance to make
easy money by creating or selling fakes, can we blame the wealthy
"Greenhorn" for spending a fortune for nothing ?
That is human.

But what we can do, is to keep the eyes and ears wide open, and remember
still to give a car the name "fake" also when it has changed ownership a
dozen times.

Dont hide your opinion, talk to "Greenhorns", even when you get disliked !

Gerhard Maier
Germany

Ps. Sorry about my English, I hope you understand me.