J2 diff

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: J2 diff
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:17:47 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I have been reading with interest the posts on the 2-star aluminum
nosepieced  differential.

The pumpkin on J2 #3343 is stamped 7/37 and has a cast iron
nosepiece. The gears are marked 7/37 with a 2-star arrangement.
The speedo face seems to have been modified to suit.

I checked blowers manual which lists the J2 diff ratio as 8/43 with
alternative 8/47. No other MG listed has a 7/37 ratio. I have all the
MG factory documentation for J2 #3343 (thanks to the MG Car
Club) and no mention of a special diff. What is it?

I checked several Morris web sites for specifications and the only
listing of a diff ratio was 9/44 (4.88) for the OHC Morris.

Any thoughts, facts or rumors appreciated.

All the best to everyone in the New Year!

Bill Traill
J2#3343
San Jose, California USA.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol