RE: N/P Steering box

To: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@netspace.net.au>, <TATERRY@aol.com>
Subject: RE: N/P Steering box
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:33:02 -0300
Cc: "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi All,
I agree with Andrew. I have driven several TCs with Datsun steering boxes
and frankly fail to see what all the fuss is about. The steering is
certainly lighter, it should be as the ratio has about doubled and it takes
twice as many turns lock to lock.. Nothing much wrong with the original
steering boxes if properly set-up with a good chassis .
I just came back from racing my MG TC at Elkhart Lake, 100 + MPH down the
straights in the pouring rain may not be everybodies idea of fun. I did
wonder why I was doing this, and I did worry about it, but the TC steered
rock steady with a standard  steering box.
Regards, Bob
Although the Datsun box has very low resistance (being a recirculating ball
box) various modification are necessary to fit it. On my car, the drop arm
has been bent to put it roughly in the correct position, but this means that
the steering rod, which should be parallel to the ackerman arm is no longer
parallel. In addition, the box was not well set up, so that although the
steering wheel is central (although upside down!) an the wheels are
straight, the lock is not even side to side. I don't know whether mine is
particularly badly set up or if this is an endemic problem. Also, the Datsun
box is the wrong ratio. The box also requires quite an extensive adapter
plate to be made up to get it to fit.
I drove a PA with a restored Marles Weller box (and a J3 as well) a few
months ago, and there is nothing wrong with the steering if the box is in
good condition. From my reading I gather that much of the reputation of the
Bishop cam box was gained post war from the TC where many of the boxes were
"stuffed" as new! I believe that the pre war boxes were better and that much
of the subsequent reputation was because of the poor seal for the sector
shaft and the use of the wrong oil. I think that the original steering is an
important part of the feel of the pre war cars and I would like to restore
this aspect.

Andrew

British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol