RE: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: "'Lance Wayman'" <lwayman@laserfiche.com>, <Kellmg@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, <jasper@enternet.com.au>
Subject: RE: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:29:41 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can anyone enlighten my understanding of any advantages to be gained by
lightening the flywheel.   It would seem to me that this would increase
the possibility of vibration from the engine, as you would reduce the
inertia and momentum that a heavy flywheel produces to smooth out the
power fluctuations between the power strokes of a four cycle internal
combustion engine.

Thanks,
Lance
1930 MG M (with 4 speed gearbox, origin unknown.)

Lightening the flywheel allows the engine to accelerate more quickly.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol