Left handed nuts on rear trunnions...?

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Left handed nuts on rear trunnions...?
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:01:57 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can anyone answer this question?

Dear Kimberites:

We erred. Dave Dwyer pointed out that the threads for the large retaining
nuts on the ends of the rear trunnion housings are left hand threads on both
sides of his J2 and TA. We took a second look at the ones on our car as well
as the replacement parts from Sports & Vintage and found that they to were
both left hand threads. Our mention in our earlier message that they were L/H
and R/H threads was in error.

The trunnion housings themselves are both left and right since there is a
slot to slide the rear spring ends through the housing which faces forwards
on both sides. So, the question of which replacement end goes where is
resolved with ease.

Question. Neither Dave or nor we know why they are left hand threaded. Does
anyone else on the list have any incite on this?

Kindest regards,

Alan & Victoria Campbell
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol