J2 Cut out

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: J2 Cut out
From: mgwizard@caloundra.net
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 05:38:54 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
There has been quite a deal of interesting chatter about this subject.

I have doggedly maintained my 3 brush generator in my P-type although it
was fitted with a Bosch unit from a VW which had been mated to a Lucas
base plate when the car came to me.  I have no trouble with the electrics
but securing the drive yolk (top) & drive gear (Bottom) is a problem and
unless these are extremely secure they can affect the timing by some 10
degrees.  I agree that running the unit around 8 helps it a good deal.

I have seen a number of cars fitted with the original brown Lucas fuse
boxes and under the lovely brass cut out cover they have fitted a cut out
& regulator system very similar to an MG TC.  Whilst these are hard to get
now days they (or a very similar unit) are commonly available for many
tractors.  I mean the farming type, not the ones for pulling road trailers
as in the US language.  This seems a good secondary system that does not
affect the look of the car at all.

So there are some extra thoughts for you all.

Regards

Pip Bucknell
Australia
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol