Diff conversion

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diff conversion
From: tnishio@adv.mei.co.jp
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:18:14 +0900
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear Friends,

I thank you for many of your great suggestions about engine oil. My J2 doesn't
have such a super performance as Pip's P type, so I will go for 20-50 or 20-60
multi grade easily available even in Japan. Once J2 racer become complete, which
is under construction, I will try Castrol R. Yes, I love that smell too.

By the way, I heard modern Midget's diff gears and carrier assembly can be used
for MMM rear axle casing (some say "hosing"), with a slight modification. If
correct, 4.55 ratio can be used. It would be good for rather low PA box or even
J2/PB box for long high-way driving.

I have read Mike Allison or Mike Howke's article long time ago in old MMM year
book (sorry I forget the detail) that he mentioned high ratio rear axle is
useless. But I think it is worth for trying. Does anyone know about such
conversion?

Best MMMs,
Hiro Nishio
Kobe Japan