Re: MG J2 Cut-out and fuse box

To: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Subject: Re: MG J2 Cut-out and fuse box
From: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:53:14 +1100
Cc: "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Just to add my two cents worth! I has recently spent considerable time on
the NAs generating system. The post war systems and the pre war systems are
very different and I would have thought not compatible, the former being
current limited and the latter voltage regulated. As I understood things,
the TAs were still a three brush dynamo with a cut out. Therefore if the
resistances were corrected, that box should work. There is nothing wrong
with the current limited three brush dynamos for a hobby car. You have to
check the battery levels regularly etc, but that's part of the fun of owning
these cars. I would suggest that you alter the output above 8 amps at your
peril!  These generators are unventilated. We set ours for 10 amps (9 at the
dash) and we had a melt down. since the rebuild (set to 8 amps at the
generator) it has been very reliable. I would have thought that it is not
worth the effort to alter the system to a regulated type.

Andrew NA 0279