Re:

To: britcars@juno.com, mgtom@bright.net
Subject: Re:
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:26:57 GMT
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lawrie,

I can offer a few partial answers, although I don't actually use Kevlar
linings myself.  Kevlar is a common lining material used by racers.  It has
a reputation for being drum-friendly, heat & fade resistant, and working
pretty well even when cold.  At least, from a racer's perspective.  Any of
the Kevlar brake suppliers could re-line your shoes (it is not a matter of
finding Kevlar brakes to fit your MMM car, you just send them the shoes to
re-line).

Hopefully one of the MMM owners will have some experience that is more
specific to a street-driven MMM car.

Not sure which brake "problem" the MMM guys are trying to solve.  If it is
really brake FADE, that means you need to carry more heat away from the
brakes -- i.e. Alfin, larger drums, cooling holes, etc (or use a lining
material that maintains its properties at higher temps).  If, on the other
hand, it is NOT fade but just raw braking power (car does not stop fast
enough, even when brakes are cool) then you need to generate more braking
torque -- i.e. larger drums, or lining material with higher coefficient of
friction.  In my experience, many people aren't really clear about which
type of braking problem they are trying to solve, and they sometimes pursue
a solution to the wrong problem.

Not sure if Kevlar would have a greater CoF than asbestos or metallic
linings, a good question to ask the suppliers.

Regards,
Mark Palmer