J2 clutch

To: MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: J2 clutch
From: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:32:59 +0000 (GMT)
Delivery-receipt-to: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Disposition-notification-to: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Read-receipt-to: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
My J2 went on its inaugural journey to the MOT station on
Saturday, some 12 miles or so.  It passed the MOT with
flying colours, I was amazed but may get used to cable
brakes in due course.  I reached the gate of the MOT
station when the clutch died.  It is jammed such that it
won't release.  I took the clutch stop bolt off and tried
abusing it by pushing the pedal as far as I could and
stamping on it a few times.  No joy.  Looking through the
inspection cover I can see the cover plate pressed forwards
onto the driven plate and the clutch fingers are not
pressed against it.  I expect that I will have to strip it
down but I wonder if this is a common fault and there might
be a simple remedy. Any advice would be gratefully
received.