[Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:49 EDT
Being the car guy on my block, lately I've been getting involved in the  "how
do I get better gas mileage" discussion at neighborhood gatherings.
Besides the usual advice, we also kicked around the merit of going to a
larger, as in taller, tire to effectively raise the final drive ratio for the
longer legs.
I researched tire sizes and find that to get a perceptible mpg  difference,as
in ten percent, the tire size and corresponding weight goes up  tremendously.
Most of the taller tires are truck/SUV and E rated and heavy.
I'm thinking the added sprung weight and cost of the tires might  neutralize
any mpg added. Plus,the Speedpo/odo would read off, too.
Yeah, I know, Duh ?
Bob W

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.