[Land-speed] Streamliner Aerodynamics

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: [Land-speed] Streamliner Aerodynamics
From: David Dymaxion <david_dymaxion@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
On another list we are having a debate about aerodynamics. The fastest solar
racers and electrathon racers are finding having the bottom of the car high off
the ground (around 8 inches) seems to be giving them better aerodynamics -- but
on the flip side their speeds are so much lower they don't have to worry as
much about being aerodynamically stable. So here are my questions:

Do streamliners generate aerodynamic downforce?

Are they low for better stability, or less aero drag, or perhaps both?

Is there a good book or web page on streamliner aerodynamics?

Thanks for the info.