Re: The JCB information

To: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: The JCB information
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:52:47 -0700
M Pittwood wrote

>.
>
>The JCB telemetry told them they used 1300hp to go 365 mph on the
>FIA/International course.  With 1500 hp total and full acceleration
>distance, they expect to see a sixth gear run at well above 400 mph (but no
>where near 458 mph).  Will they get to 410 mph Mayf?
>

>Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

Malcolm, no, 1500 hp will not get them to 400 plus. Max will be around
382 or so give or take a mph or so. Maybe less.  As to the tyres, I
suspect that JCB wants this to be an all Brit effort. That goes along
with the original web site information  about using Superior British
Engineering and components. What was failed to  mention was the
seriously large budget to make this happen, lol. JCB is competing with
mostly grass roots racers who have  really small budgets by comparison.
Is there any way to extract the number of engineering manhours used to
develop this project? Ditto with manufacturing, and supply? Then add in
the management skills and the total cost has just gotta be mindboggling.
I do not know, however, how many manhours the other fast cars use, but I
suspect it is fairly steep also, but likely orders of magnitude less.

This also kinda is true for the Brit steam car. As I look at that web
site and the number of sponsors who are doing a very large amount of
engineering work, I see another massive program trying to get a record
and have the best in the world. Both are almost in the category of
implied National Efforts rather than racer driven efforts. In any case,
I do like to see them run! And I hope they all make it as well. Wonder
what the costs per mph is? My sunbeam cost per mph so far is $157/mph.
That is total out of pocket expense divided by the fastest speed to date.

Hey, that would be a good number to toss around?