Re: LSR tires - Hi speed bearings

To: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>, "land Speed List"
Subject: Re: LSR tires - Hi speed bearings
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:07:42 -0500
Thanks all for the replies.  Due to close relationships with one of my old
sponsors, we have been looking at precision bearings and oil lubrication.
Ceramic is certainly a possibility but at this point I don't know if it is
really necessary.  We are only going 5 miles under power.  Sealing is
already handled with PTFE laydown lip seals similar to that on my
crankshaft.  The seal is high tension but very low friction.  I think for
the time being working into better cooling and precision bearings and
preload will hold off any problems.  If I am blessed to be looking at 300
MPH down the road, then more will be done up front.
One of the immediate problems is the dia of the bearing.  My spindles are
Top Fuel type and of Anglia design.  I am using one set of steel spindles,
but the bearings are very small in major and minor diameter.
The rollers are still conventional automotive size and my car is relatively
light weight for what most folks see as a "Big" car.  Its really smaller and
lighter than it appears, especially in photos.
The Liner front end is two wheels in a conventional layout, but very, very
narrow track.
The front will be sprung, but with only 1" jounce (??) and very high spring
rates. (air bag I think(it packages well)).

Good wishes to all

Rick