Re: intake gaskets sealant

To: "Scott Cowle" <SCowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: intake gaskets sealant
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:47:20 -0700
Scott-- there's some basic surface defect or alignment problem with that
intake manifold that you'll likely have to solve sooner or later.
Meantime--some of us oldtimers used to use #2 Permatex when we didn't have a
new gasket (and we had to pick up our date in an hour). Works especially
well on flathead water pmps. Comes in a tube.  It's alcohol based.  Doesn't
harden.  Really sticky stuff.  It's a little messy and you have to work at
it to get it off the gasket surfaces.  I like to use it for those situations
where nothing else works.  Latest success with the stuff  was getting a
cheap tubeless wheelbarrow tire to rim seal against 30psi when nothing else
would work.
Ed Weldon